Sunday, June 14, 2009

Training Recap: Week One

Today was my first long run and the completion of my first week of training. I was scheduled to do a 60 minute run. I was hoping to do 6 miles within this time frame, but I would have settled for 5 and a 1/2. The temperature was a pleasant 64 degrees with a breeze. I did a newer route that I discovered about 2 months ago. It's a 5.75 mile loop with rolling hills through a well landscaped neighborhood. The first half of the run was stiff and it took some time to loosen up. I was having difficulty finding a groove and never truly did for the duration of the run. The second half was better. I loosened up but felt the fatigue the last mile. Even though I was tired, I pushed on and I managed not to have to walk. To complete the last 1/4 mile, I went to the track and finished with my signature "kick." To this day I do not know where it comes from. Even when I seriously think there is absolutely nothing left in the tank, I manage to dig down into the depths of something and pull out a sprint. I was able to finish the last part of my run at a 7:07 pace. When I was done, I looked down at my watch and I saw that I had done the 6 miles in 60 minutes. I was floored and so proud of myself. It was the fastest I have run all week and also the furthest. Here I thought I was plodding along just trying to finish and in reality I was right on target. All in all a satisfying run and a great start to training.

This is a recap for the first week:

Planned Miles: 19
Actual Miles: 20.5
Average pace for the week: 10:24
Total time: 210.5 minutes
Calories burned: 2630

No comments:

Post a Comment