Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Let the Music Move You

I had to drag myself out of bed this morning to run. All I wanted to do was sleep. I made the mistake of staying up really late a few nights ago and now it's catching up to me. I tried to think of an excuse to bail on my run, but alas, I had none. So I laced up my shoes, popped in my ear buds and took off for my 4 miler. I got out about 7:30 am and it was already hot. I fear the summer heat is upon us. The first week or so of heat always effects my runs and makes me fatigue much quicker. Once I get use to it though, I hardly seem to notice the increased temperature. Despite my lack of motivation, I persevered and was happy at my accomplishment.

That is one thing about running, it can sometimes get very boring which can cause ones motivation to wane. It's always a challenge to find new ways to be motivated. For me, music can be a great inspiration. When I start losing the desire to hit the pavement, I know it's time to change up my playlist. Sometimes I will just replenish my list with some songs I haven't heard in awhile and other times I will download new ones. My playlist has quite a mix on it. Everything from The Beatles to Marylin Manson. I'm always on a search for new songs. When I hear a song I think might work for my list my husband and I "test" it out, but pretending to run in place. It's actually pretty funny to watch us. Here are a few of my favorite running songs of all time:

"Only" - Nine Inch Nails
"Hung Up" - Madonna
"Beautiful Day"-U2
"We Will Rock You"- Queen
"Major Tom"-Shiny Toy Guns
"Hand that Feeds"-Nine Inch Nails
"Upside Down"-Jack Johnson
"Let's Get it Started"-Black Eyed Peas
"We're From America"-Marilyn Manson
"Big Wheel"-Tori Amos
"The Saints are Coming" -Greenday and U2
"Doesn't Remind Me"- Audioslave
"How Far We've Come"-Matchbox Twenty
"Toxic"-Britney Spears
"Eye of the Tiger"-Rocky Soundtrack (I forgot who sings this)
"Viva La Vida" - Coldplay
"Hot n Cold" - Katy Perry
"Discipline"-Nine Inch Nails
"The Great Unravel"-Gandolph Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams
"World Wide Suicide"- Pearl Jam
"Running Down a Dream"-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
"Fast Cars"-U2
"Sexy Back"-Justin Timberlake
"Gone Daddy Gone"-Gnarls Barkley

1 comment:

  1. Great song picks! I always find Blackeyed Peas to be very motivating.

    Good for you for running today! Keep hydrated in this heat!

    ReplyDelete