Thursday, May 28, 2009

Training Plan: The First Six Weeks

I thought I might has well go ahead and post my training plan for the first six weeks. I got this from Runner's World Magazine last year. I adapted it to my needs and I'm sure it will change a bit from time to time. The first six weeks are the Base Phase. You begin with only 20 miles a week and build up to 35 over the six weeks. This is the easy part of the training. My running week starts on Monday and ends on Sunday with my long run. In addition to running, I will also be incorporating strength training twice a week. The plan allows for up to three rest days per week. I will definitely take one day off a week, and the others I will play by ear. If I feel I need another rest day during the week, then I will take it. My goal is to be more under trained than over trained come race day.


Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun

Week 1: 3 miles/3 miles/ST-strength /4 miles/30 min & ST/Rest/60 min

Week 2: 2 miles/ 3 miles /ST/ 4 miles/ 30 min & ST/Rest /75 min

Week 3: 2 miles /4 miles /ST /4 miles/ 40 min & ST/Rest /90 min

Week 4: 2 miles /4 miles /ST/ 5 miles/ 40 min & ST/ Rest/ 1:45

Week 5: 2 miles /5 miles/ ST/ 5 miles/ 45 min & ST/ Rest/ 2 hr

Week 6: 2 miles/5 miles/30 min & ST/4 miles/30 min & ST/Rest/2:30


Thursdays I will be concentrating on doing hill repeats and tempo runs. As you can see, some days I am running for distance, and other days it is for time. I am hoping this will change things up a bit. That is the one thing about training, gets very redundant and is easy to get burned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment